Thursday 12 August 2010

A very floral 50p top




I went to my local haberdashery shop a couple of weeks ago to buy a reel of navy thread. While in there I looked up and on the top shelf were lots of pieces of fabric. This floral cotton lawn caught my eye. It had a sticky label on it with 50p written on. "Did you find that in our shop?" asked the lady who runs the shop.


I gleefully paid up my 50 pence and took it home - there was just enough to make up this ruffle top (Simplicity 2599). If you look at 2599, try not to be put off by the cover illustrations and photo which shows a slightly alarming peach confection. (And look at the top Melissa at All Buttoned Up made from it)
I have used this pattern a couple of times before. It is straightforward - I cheated and used a bit of ribbon to make the back fastening loop to go over a button. As I have sewn this twice before, I mistakenly thought I could sew up the top super quick - in fact it took longer because I tried to rush the neck facing and ended up having to unpick it and restitch. I am also thinking of adding a snap fastener as the ribbon loop/button combo keeps coming undone.
As I sewed this top up I was slightly worried about whether it was just too floral for me but I like it now it's finished - I think the floral-ness will be fine as long as I don't try to team it with a flowery skirt.

3 comments:

  1. Love the fabric, and a complete bargain at 50p!!!"Did you find it in our shop?"ha ha!!!What a pretty summer top.makes me wish I could sew!beckyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this top, the material and the style. Hope you are having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! Seems like it'd pair perfectly with a solid basic colored bottom :)

    ReplyDelete