Wednesday 2 May 2012

Me Made May '12 - Day 1

Hello on a wet and soggy May Day.  Thank you for the comments on my thrifting.I did manage to build the doll's house, photos tp follow soon.  But for now, ta-daaa, it's day 1 of me made May:
Me made Mariposa franken dress originally blogged here.  Huge pink scarf from charity shop.  The Mariposa dress pattern  is from Anna Maria Horner's book Handmade Beginnings.  I made a few changes when making it:
  • I used a jersey knit instead of woven fabric
  • I missed out the modesty panel and wear it over a cami instead
  • I missed out the back facing and instead did a back bodice lining
Good things about this dress:
  • So comfortable, easy to wear and layer, it can be adapted to different weather and seasons
  • The jersey knit is easy to wash, and it needs no ironing (yay)
  • Love the colours
  • The knit means I was able to wear this dress till 9 months pregnant
  • I can now wear it and just tie it tighter - I don't think this would have worked so well in a woven fabric
  • The tie wrap top is designed for nursing your baby, I have found it very easy and discreet to feed in this dress
Not so good:
  • I wore this so much when pregnant that by January, I was sick of it and only just started to wear it again!
  • The knit has pilled (but was cheap in the first place, so should I be surprised?)
  • Horizontal stripes are not the most figure flattering and kind of contour lumps and bumps!
  • No pockets
But I like this pattern and am currently finishing another dress from it, it's quite different though.  I hope to finish it very soon, before May is finished, just got armholes, hem and pockets left to complete.

17 comments:

  1. You look wonderful...and RG too.I have never dared to substitute a Jersey fabric instead of a woven...do you have to do anything special?
    Enjoy MMJ'12!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am no expert on substituting jersey for woven but think you have to consider the ease of the pattern and the style. This worked well as it has a wrap style top and the jersey drapes well.

      Delete
  2. Happy MMM day 1! That's a gorgeous photo of you and Rocket Girl and your dress is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - Rocket Girl was shouting from her baby gym while I was trying to do photos so it seemed easier to let her join in!

      Delete
  3. Cute outfit! The pink scarf is so cheerful for a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger, I've been wearing this scarf A LOT ever since I found it a couple of weeks ago. It just cheers me up on these grey and wet mornings. :)

      Delete
  4. Great dress and a lovely photo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I think she upstages me. :)

      Delete
  5. Top dress - sounds like the perfect maternity/ nursing formula & you can wear it until it wears out with pride!
    Oh I love your accessorizing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ScruffyB, yes she is the best accessory, isn't she? Tee hee. The dresss is so comfortable.x

      Delete
  6. Sweet look. I think you are going to be happy to have a bunch of photos of you and the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Sigrid - I usually take all the photos in our house so I am rarely in any pics. x

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fantastic all round dress! And as for the no pockets, I'm thinking maybe a crochet square or square of contrasting fabric to make a feature of it?? Loving little rocket girl too XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute outfit for Day 1. Wrap dresses are awesome! Also, Rocket girl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I love that style of top/ dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely photo! Also, totally into the way you styled the dress :-).

    ReplyDelete