Thursday 17 January 2013

Sewing plans, sewing reality

So, I wasn't going to set myself any big resolutions or sewing plans but once I jotted down my UFOs and planned makes I already have quite a list. My over-riding aim is to try and be more thorough and calm in my approach to sewing, to think about fit and fabric quality and not to rush into projects.  To this end I have started sewing my Renfrew but first I bought the right colour thread.  Then I took the time to find the appropriate jersey needle for my machine.  I have been stopping to press the pieces when directed.  All tiny things but the kind of steps I will often skip over in haste and regret afterwards. 

In my fantasy-sewing land, (please imagine a Bach-type soothing soundtrack here) you know the one with no small (or large) children, oodles of peaceful spare time and copious space plus endless funds, I would like to sew some more tailored garments, I would love to tackle a jacket and know just which patterns and fabrics I would use.  I would like to make a well fitting dress, try out lots of indie pattern makers, draft my own patterns using Cal Patch's book....but (insert squeal of brakes here) let's get back to reality (cut out that calm Bach music), I am going to:
  • complete my first renfrew top

  • finish my Simplicity traveller dress (only buttonholes and buttons to go)
  • sew a tova - blouse or dress?  What a decision....maybe one of each?
  • sew Vogue 2147 totally copying Solvi and Scruffybadger - the skirt in some thrifted green cord or possibly some inherited tweed - (urgh, more decisions)
  • sew Rocket Girl some "quick change"  trousers from the Anna Maria Horner book Handmade Beginnings - using stash fabric
  • sew Little I a tutu from Liesel Gibson's book, Little Things  - fabric bought three months ago
  • Sew a wearable muslin Crepe dress
  • Sew a "proper" Crepe dress
  • 
    Full length trousers from Simple Modern Sewing book
    
    Tova pattern pieces printed from pdf
  • Blue linen-look trousers or shorts (yes, another decision needed here) ....I have the fabric and I am thinking of using Simple Modern Sewing for the pattern
  • Sew a Vogue 2147 top - no fabric for this yet....
  • Sew my girls summer dresses from some marimekko-like fabric rescued from my mum's stash

Phew, that's quite enough to be going on with.  Let the fun begin.....

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! that makes my own 'fun' holiday sewing projects (which incidentally are supposed to be relaxing) seem not so stressful after all! My problem (and the obvious reason I am not waaaay more productive) is that I have no actual space to do my cutting and pinning except the FLOOR thus my fantasy involves a cool warehouse studio space where all those projects can be done simultaneously.......sigh...
    Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the warehouse sounds a great dream space....I have the dining table or floor for cutting and pinning but have to first shove toys and various stuff aside so I totally relate to your comment. xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are full of sewing promise! Isn't it great to be inspired and know what you want to make. Sometimes I find the planning can be more exciting than the sewing if it gets me at the right time!! Good luck ! Play that Bach maestro and let the sewing continue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, luck is needed here :) The planning and anticipation is so much fun I agree, xx

      Delete
  3. With all those kids in your household, that sounds like some ambitious plans! Such lovely things, though - little girls' stuff and a Crepe! Maybe I need another Crepe, too. I so love Crepe!
    Good luck with your plans, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IS the Crepe easy to sew? I would love to hear any tips you have and I definitely think you should sew another! xx

      Delete
  4. Your plans sound lovely! The good thing is that you're not on a deadline, so keep taking it slowly and hopefully you'll enjoy the process (at least somewhat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your advice is very sound, I need to remember I don't have a deadline and enjoy the process. I tend to invent my own deadlines for no reason other than to instigate panic. :) xx

      Delete
  5. well I have oodles of time as I am for the most part only mentally tortured by household quadrupeds limited on space admittedly especially if the bikes are back in residence but I always seem to rush into things I'm making which is why my "pile of shame" is so extensive.
    Your plans sound like fun and with this snowy weather what better way than to spend some time making things...good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a natural "rusher into things" but I am working on it! Are you making ahything in this snowy weather? xx

      Delete
  6. What plans! They sound lovely. I have been eyeing the Tova pattern as well -- seeing the success you've had with tunics, I have no doubt that will be a winner :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, go on, make a tova, make a tova, make a tova. No pressure. xx

      Delete
  7. Oooh, what a lovely list of things to make! I look forward to seeing how they turn out, good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ambitious list! I hear you about sewing dreams vs. sewing reality. I'd like to try to make more tops this year and funnily enough, I have just bought the Tova pattern too.

    ReplyDelete